Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Bama Pride



What an amazing time to be a Tide fan!

Let's flash back to November 2006. I watched the last few plays of the Iron Bowl from the Bank of Tuscaloosa's skybox. Although I was a last minute guest of a friend of the BOT President's daughter, it seemed like I was the only one who cared about the outcome of the game.

Bama was driving down the field and had a glimmer of hope with only a few minutes left in the game. Everyone else in the skybox was talking to each other or watching the Michigan-Ohio State game on the TV! Was this what Bama football had become? The live game on the field was no more important to these people than some Division II game playing on a TV in another room during a cocktail party.

Let me clarify here that I'm not blasting these people. They were very nice people and really welcomed me when they didn't know me from Adam. But, come on! This is the rivalry of the year! And they just seemed resigned to the fact that here was another lost in another disappointing season.

I watched from just above the Auburn band section as they played and sang Rammer-Jammer to us in OUR own house, while Tuberville and his no-class clowns ran around with their five fingers held up on OUR field. Certainly it couldn't get worse than this. Little did I know what was on its way in just a few short months.

Fast forward back to today. Coach Saban has taken a mere three years to purge the mediocrity and re-establish the pride and passion that is Alabama Football. The team is so respectful, disciplined, and strong in will and body. They have a relentless desire for success and a renewed pride in the University, themselves and in what they are trying to accomplish as a team.

Physically they look twice the size they were. They dictate the play instead of hoping nothing bad happens.

We now have a 25-2 record in the last two years! Amazing when the previous two years yielded a 12-13 record. We've won the SEC West and have been to the SEC Championship two years in a row with the 2009 SEC Championship trophy to show for it. We have beaten Tennessee three straight years, Auburn two straight years and LSU two straight years.

Let's also not forget the first Heisman trophy winner in the HISTORY of the program! Congrats Mark!

What a turn around from the empty feelings on that cold, damp day 3 years ago. As a fan, I'm so proud of our team, our coaches, and so happy for our fans!

ROLL TIDE!

No comments: